Monday, February 11, 2013

Small Batch Baking - Mini Strawberry Cake

Happy Valentines Week, Sweets!

As Thursday quickly approaches, I wanted to share a treat for two that I tried out this weekend.  Mini-cake recipes are hard to come by, but perfect for Valentines Day when you and your sweetie want to share a little post-dinner bite.


This cake is completely from scratch and gets it's amazing strawberry flavor from a fresh strawberry puree.  It's frosted with a cream cheese meringue frosting which is an amazing pair.  The finished cake does take a little time; I made mine over two days and that worked out well.  The pink/strawberry theme makes it perfect for Valentines Day, but this cake would also be an excellent choice in the summer when strawberries are nice and fresh and in season.

Tastie!  Strawberry cake, strawberry cream filling, cream cheese meringue frosting...yup, this combo works!
I adapted this recipe from one I spotted on Pinterest, from Oven Love Blog.  That recipe makes a whole big cake, and mine makes a mini.  I had some serious trouble with the icing and getting it to come together, but the end result tasted great even though it didn't spread/set as nicely as I would have liked.

If you make one of these mini-cakes this week, tell me about it in the comments below!


Mini Strawberry Cake with Cream Cheese Meringue Buttercream

Need:

  • 12 - 14 very ripe strawberries
  • 1/8 cup milk (I used almond milk) at room temperature 
  • 3 large egg whites at room temperature 
  • 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract 
  • 1 1/8 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup plus 1/8 cup sugar 
  • 2 tsp baking powder 
  • 1/2 tsp salt 
  • 6 Tbsp unsalted butter (1½ sticks), softened (not melted) 
  • Red food coloring (optional) 
Do:
  1.  Trim all the strawberries, slice and toss with a teaspoon of sugar, cover and let them sit at room temperature for an hour or two. 
  2. Place strawberries in a food processor and puree.
  3. Put a little bit more than 1/3 cup of the strawberry puree aside; this will flavor the cake.  The rest can be used for filling or another project.   
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8' x 8' square pyrex dish with cooking spray.
  5. In small bowl, combine puree, milk, egg, vanilla and mix well until blended. 
  6. In the bowl of your stand mixer, add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix to combine. Don't forget the sugar!  I did, and didn't realize it until I was just about to pour the batter into the dish!
  7. Keep beating at slow speed and add the butter.  Mix until combined and the batter resembles crumbs. 
  8. Now, pour in the liquids and beat at medium speed for about 1 minute or until fully blended.
  9. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, give the bottom a good scoop, and if you'd like, add a few drops of food coloring to get a pretty red or pink color.  
  10. Pour the batter into the pyrex dish and even out the top.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Keep an eye on it, I checked it after 25 minutes, and I *think* I gave it another 10...but you should just watch it after 30 to be safe.  
  11. Let the cake cool completely in the dish.  
  12. Once cool, cut your cake into 4 equal parts.  
  13. Gently remove one part from the pan, top with a little filling (I mixed two heaping spoonfuls of frosting with my leftover strawberry puree) and stack up your other square pieces in the same way.  For my mini cake, I used three layers, and kept the 4th square as a giant tastie :)
  14. Once you have your layers filled and stacked, take out a bread knife and channel your inner cake boss.  Gently cut out a triangle from one of the corners to create a heart shape, like so (picture below).
  15. Frost and enjoy!
Square cake cut into 4's

Three stacked layers with triangle cut out to form a heart shape

For the frosting, grab the recipe from Oven Love Blog; I followed it exactly to have some leftover frosting.  As I mentioned, I had some trouble getting this to come together the way I think it was supposed to, but the taste with the cake is fabulous and very much worth it!

1 comment: