That is, until a family friend requested them in place of French Macaroons that I had promised. This was exciting to me, I love trying new recipes and this is one I definitely would not have thought of. I searched for the perfect recipe and to be honest, the one from Cook's Illustrated sounded the BEST with different types of coconut. However, I went with my limited supplies and followed a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com.
The recipe is quick and easy, and according to the ratings on the site, these come out pretty amazing if you follow the recipe exactly. Remember my mention of limited supplies? I used evaporated milk instead of sweetened condensed milk. Coconut macaroon (small) fail. Hubs said next time I should make them sweeter. Lesson learned. He's good though, he's eaten almost all of the batch that we kept here at home!
"Coconut Macaroons III Recipe" - by "Fratcook" on AllRecipes.com.
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 5.5 cups flaked coconut (I used sweetened)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and SPRAY WITH COOKING SPRAY (learned this little factoid the hard way)
- Stir together flour, coconut and salt in a large bowl.
- Add in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla, stir with hands until well combined
- Scoop and drop dough in golf-ball sized balls onto baking sheets
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until coconut is toasted and is a nice golden brown