Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Double Chocolate Mint Chip Chewies

Happy Hump Day, Sweets!

If you like Girl Scout Thin Mints, tonight's cookie is for you.  It's a fudgy, rich chocolate cookie studded with seasonal Mint M&M's.  Same flavor as Thin Mints, but less crunch and more chew.  De-lish.

 

In my latest trip to the food store, I just couldn't resist the sassy minty M&M on the baking endcap.  I mean, look at her! I had initially thought I'd do a plain sugar cookie and put the M&M's in those, similar to the Keebler kind my mom gave me growing up.  But then I thought about the sugar cookies we had last night and how I love chocolate and it dawned on me that it's a good idea to mix chocolate and mint.



I really love this chocolate cookie, and the red, green and white M&M's make them look so festive.  This is definitely another recipe on the favorites list for 2012 Christmas cookies.  If you make your own batch, let me know how they come out!


Side-note - the cookie dough for these is excellent too!  But don't eat too much; raw eggs are no good. 

Need:
1 1/4 c. unsalted butter
2 c. flour
1 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. white sugar
3/4 c. dutch process cocoa
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
2 large eggs 
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups Mint M&Ms

Do:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk cocoa, salt and baking soda to combine.  Put to the side.
  3. In a mixing bowl fitted with the beater attachment, cream the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well mixed. 
  4. Add one egg, mix well, then add the other egg and continue to mix well.
  5. Add in vanilla, continue to mix.
  6. Pause the mixer, and add the cocoa/salt/baking soda mixture.  Start mixer on slow to combine, then beat well.
  7. Again, pause the mixer and add in the flour.  Start mixer on slow to combine, then beat well.
  8. Mix in M&M's by hand
  9. Using a 1-tbsp cookie scoop, portion out the cookies onto a sheet lined with parchment paper.
  10. Bake for 9 minutes
  11. It would probably be a good idea to cool these on a cooling rack, but since I don't have one, I just put them immediately on a plate.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment