Sunday, January 22, 2012

Healthy Pumpkin Bread


Hubs & I have a cruise coming up in two weeks, woohoo!  With that in mind, I was craving a sweet bread for breakfast but didn't want to kill my calorie count for the day.  After a little google searching, I found a pumpkin bread recipe and tweaked it just a bit to make it healthy and incorporate what I had in the house.  I warned J that it may not taste as good as usual due to the health factor, but he loved it just the same.  I did too!  Bonus on this recipe?  It's super easy.  One-bowl-wonder.  Love.

Special thank you to my Auntie Elisa who gave me 2-cup packs of her fresh, homemade pumpkin puree.  Healthy, delicious super food.  Thanks Auntie!!

Healthy Pumpkin Bread (adapted from Kitchen Stewardship)
Need:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/8 cup ground flaxseed meal
  • 2/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 1 cup fresh pumpkin puree
Do: 
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl
  3. Grease loaf pan
  4. Pour batter into loaf pan
  5. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes
We ate ours warm with some light cream cheese dolloped on top.  Happy Sunday!


1 comment: