Saturday, October 15, 2011

Spice 'N Easy Apple Crunch Pie

It is a GORGEOUS fall day in Boston today, perfect for apple picking!  Hubs and I have a big weekend ahead so we're taking advantage of a few free hours at home to clean and relax.  No apple picking for us today, but I thought I would share a great recipe that you apple pickers may enjoy making with your bounty.  Bounty?  I never thought I'd use that word in a sentence, but I just did.  Anyway.



This recipe comes from my husband's grandmother, Memere Rita.  She shared it with me a few weeks ago when I told her I was itching to make something appley.  Memere said this dessert is one that never, ever lasts on the counter more than a day because everyone loves it.

Memere Rita was 100% correct.  The glutton in the story I'm about to share may sound a little gross, but I'm going to share anyway.  When I made the pie, my husband and I ate 3/4 of it in one sitting. We started with one slice each, and then we both kept adding more "slivers" to our plate.  Before we knew it, there was only enough for about 2 normal size pieces left.  We stopped at that, and then ate it for breakfast the next morning.

Moral of the story?  Unless you have super self-control, this dessert may be dangerous for your health :)  Happy fall, sweets!

Spice 'N Easy Apple Crunch Pie
*Heat oven to 375 degrees
*This is a 3-part recipe - read all the way first to figure out how you want to time it or prep.  I just went along part by part, didn't do any prep up front and it turned out great.

Part 1- Crust
Need:
1 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. canola oil
2 tbsp. milk

Do:
Combine all ingredients and mix well.  Pat into an ungreased 9" pie plate, and flute edges if desired.


Part 2- Filling
Need:
2/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 medium apples, sliced/chopped (I use Cortland for any apple baking projects, because thats what my Grammy, who has the best apple pie in the world, says to use!)
1/2 c. sour cream or plain yogurt

Do:
Combine all ingredients and mix well.  Spoon into unbaked crust.


Part 3 - Topping
Need:
1/2 c. Rice Crispy cereal
1/3 c. flour
1/3 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ea cinnamon and nutmeg
1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened

Do:
Combine all ingredients and mix well in a small bowl.  Sprinkle over apples.  Bake in 375 degree oven for 40- 45 min.


Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. i'm going apple picking tomorrow and have been looking for recipes this week... i think this one tops the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crumb topping on a pie. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O boy that pie does look DELICIOUS. Feel free to bring some over so I can try some. :) Mumma

    ReplyDelete